Here’s one of those oh-so-useless posts where I link you to a bunch of random pages that you probably will never read or care about. The idea here is to spread some good stuff that I’ve read in the hope that I don’t have to cover the same material, but instead can reference it freely without feeling like I’m leaving everyone behind.
I’ll also point you to some games I’m enjoying.
I think I’m going to start doing this monthly instead of just providing a “what I’m playing” list that tends to be even more ludicrously useless.
- Some basics about RTS design from a small game studio. I’m going to start writing about RTSes soon, particularly AI War, so I advise you brush up on your RTS lingo. I won’t take baby steps.
- Sirlin’s blog needs your attention. He writes well about topics game designers should care about. Don’t rot your mind with Tobold and Keen—give yourself what your brain craves with some good, juicy Sirlin articles.
- The No Twinkie Database: plenty of design gaffes in stockades at the center of town.
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms X. It’s a niche title and certainly isn’t for everyone, but a game that does this style of play right would win my undying gratitude by providing me with thousands of hours of blissful enjoyment. There are so many things about RoTKX that sit right with me—it needs its own article. Too bad no one gives this game the attention it deserves.
- Board Space, a place for board games that will destroy your mind in the best way possible. It isn’t pretty, but boardspace allows you to play some very cool minimalistic strategic board games online. They’ve got 30 games up now. And it’s free.
- AI War. I’ve already given this game enough praise. Just play it. If you love strategy games, you won’t regret it. (Analysis articles on AI War are being assembled and should be posted this week and next.)